Tuesday, April 28, 2009

One year ago...

It's hard to believe that one year ago today Taryn had open heart surgery. Looking back on this day has been difficult for me since hearing the devastating news a few weeks ago that her surgeon is fighting for his own life and has taken an indefinite leave of absence from PCMC.
I don't know if Taryn would be with us today if Dr. Hawkins wasn't her surgeon. What would we have done if this news had come a year sooner? Thinking about it gives me so much anxiety and my heart goes out to those who are currently in that situation. After her first surgery he promised us that he would figure out how to fix her heart, even though he wasn't sure how since he hadn't seen that particular defect occur the way it did in her heart. He saved her life. Twice. I'm not sure how you even begin to thank someone for the gift of being able to raise your child. I pray that he and his family will feel a sense of peace at this time and that somehow they will know just how much we, and so many other heart families, appreciate and love him for dedicating his life to healing those born with imperfect hearts.
Here's Taryn today (well, last week to be exact). Her little scars are a daily reminder to me of how much I have to be thankful for! We will be forever working to pay our gratitude forward.

5 comments:

Julie said...

How awesome it must be to know that you have saved people like Taryn . . . what a divine purpose he had in this life! I am so grateful that the news did NOT come one year ago!

Traci said...

That is such a touching tribute. I am so glad the Taryn has the opportunity to do all the fun things that kids get to do because of the dedication of others.

Mark and Adrian said...

Kenny and Michele

You have a beautiful little girl. She looks just like a Kingsford. (But I don't know your family, Michele, so she might look like them too). What a sweet little blessing.

Adrian (Glover) Fluckiger

No Buckaroos said...

Wow that year went by fast! She's such a little doll - so glad she's doing so well!

carolyn q said...

Hey, just wanted to let you know I was thinking of Taryn today with it being her 2nd Birthday.
I hope she enjoys the day and I posted to the IHH Forum announcing it too.
She has come a long way and it seems like it was just yesterday, not a year ago that I visited you up at PCMC. Good thing time goes by :0)
(HUGS)