Thursday, May 1, 2008

Tummy Troubles

We were moved to the Surgical Unit (better know as the floor) yesterday afternoon. Her echo looked great. They moved her to the floor w/ the chest tubes and they continue to drain more than we would like but they aren't too concerned about it yet. Taryn has had a rough 24 hours. She spent most of yesterday throwing up everything, which can't feel very good on her chest. After some trial-and-error we determined that the Loritab was making her sick so they took her off of that. They put her on Zofran to help with nausea. She's also a bit "backed up" (a side-effect of surgery and Morphine) which doesn't help her comfort level either. The only thing we can get her to take is ice water through a straw which is keeping her hydrated. She was on Motrin and Tylenol all last night but that wasn't helping much to relieve her pain. In an effort to comfort her I held her in a chair that reclines slightly and we both got a few hours of restless sleep that way. The doctor is trying her on Oxicodone and we'll see how she tolerates that. She did eat a cracker before we creatively got the meds down her without her gagging and thowing up. Yea! She's resting comfortably now and we are hoping that continues.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Taryn is feeling so yucky. That can't be easy on you. I hope she is feeling better soon. Michelle

Julie said...

I'm sure you are feeling like every day is a mountain you are climbing!!! When you finally reach the top and look down and see where you've come from I think you will feel the same exhilaration! We love you so much and are praying for you every day! Love the Julie & the rest of the Bassett clan